Look across Friargate to Abbots Bank. This
was built in 1820 near the site of a13th century
Augustinian Friary. To its right is the ‘Friarage’
dating from 1717 (this is a fancy name only - as
is ‘Abbots Bank’ as Friaries don’t have Abbots).
Edward l came to the Friary in the 1290s on his
way to fight the Scots.
On your left is Mansion House; the
Whelpdale family built this in 1750 as a ‘showoff’
house with ‘a conspicuous waste of land at
the front but very plain inside’.
Further up Friargate, Hutton
Hall is another fine Georgian
building owned by the Hutton family
who lived on this site from 1272-1734.
A Pele Tower (fortified house), part of
their earlier dwellings, stands to the
rear. Turn back into de Whelpdale Lane.
Look left into the churchyard to see the Rotary
Garden created from a derelict site in 1971 to mark
the 21st Anniversary of the Rotary Club of Penrith.
This site was where the Vicarage stood in its
garden until 1840. Proceed along de Whelpdale Lane
to enter Sandgate.
In earlier days a busy egg and butter market,
crossed by an open Thacka Beck, stood here. The
bus station was created in the mid-20th century
on the far side - formerly an area of various yards.
Turn left into Burrowgate.