Voreda House at the top right of Portland
Place was the first to use metric bricks in
Penrith. It sits on the site of the earlier Drill Hall
built in the 1890s as a dual-purpose army drill
hall and public hall for concerts, sales, plays and
dances, much used till it burnt down in the
Diagonally opposite lies the Penrith
Methodist Church. This was erected in 1873 for
£8,000 and then much improved in 1997. Turn left into Drovers Lane, then left again into the churchyard.
Christ Church opened in 1850. It was
described as ‘convenient, commodious, and one
of the neatest edifices in the town’. As the
population of Penrith increased, the need for a
new burial ground became imperative. When
the cemetery on Beacon Edge opened in 1872
it took over as the town’s burial ground.
However, burials continued at Christ Church
for those with vaults; these were originally sold
for £10 each (over £1,000 now) in 1849-50 to
raise funds to build the church. The flat grassy
land between the church and Wilson Row is
where Penrithians unable/unwilling to have a
tombstone were buried. Exit the churchyard by the opposite gate and turn left along Wilson Row.